« Home | Did American actions help Al Qaeda strike in London? » | Underestimating the Enemy » | Denial is a river in Iraq » | Getting our priorities right? » | Ken Livingstone Statement » | Atrocity in London » | Pots, kettles and the colour black » | The 'Freedom Institute' needs to grow up » | Modern Irish Life » | Corruption Watch » 

Friday, July 08, 2005 

Bombed London Neighbourhoods

Duncan Black (known to his fans as Atrios) has an interesting comment on the location of the Tube station bombs:

"Edgware Road

When I lived in London I lived about 6-8 minutes from Edgware Road tube station, one of the stations impacted by today's terrorist attack. It wasn't the station I normally used for my commute, but it was probably the closest one to me. The neighborhood is as Garance describes it - heavily Middle Eastern, and the center of wealthy Middle Eastern immigrants in London, the ethnic community having been formed when people were getting rich off high 1970s oil prices and buying London property with their petrodollars. While it's a bit much to try to divine the precise intent of thus unknown terrorists, and I can't say if Garance's analysis is precisely correct, it is true that the choice of subway lines/targets is quite interesting - it did follow a path, roughly, from one center of Middle Eastern London, the poor one, to the other center of Middle Eastern London, the rich one.

It certainly isn't the set of targets someone would choose if they were going out of their way to minimize the deaths of London's Muslim population."

While this could be taken as indicating the easiest targets for the (presumably) Middle Eastern agents of Al'Qaeda to hit, it certainly shows a definite lack of concern for causing British Muslim casualties yesterday - an Al'Qaeda trademark.

UPDATE: the always-excellent TAPPED has more.

p.s. via Atrios, Fox News editor Brit Hume on first hearing of the London bombings:

"I mean, my first thought when I heard -- just on a personal basis, when I heard there had been this attack and I saw the futures this morning, which were really in the tank, I thought, "Hmmm, time to buy."

Nice to know where US Republican thoughts were on a day like this.

"Libel"-Richard Waghorne
"Attack blog"-Damien Mulley

About me

  • An early-thirties male Irish technologist living and working in Dublin, I'm a former (recovering) member of both Fianna Fáil and the Roman Catholic Church.

    I'm not a member of any political party these days, but my opinions can be broadly categorised as 'lefty' and republican. I am also a former member of the Irish Defence Forces.

    Please feel free to check out the FI Fie Foe Fum group blog, where I was once a regular contributor, and the Cedar Lounge Revolution, where I can usually be found in the comments.

    (This blog and its contents reflect only my own personal opinions as a private citizen, and not those of any other person or organisation.)

www.flickr.com

Links

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates