« Home | Freedom "Institute" - gone, but not forgotten » | Bupa: not going after all » | Back » | Reality Bites on Iraq » | FascistWatch.IE » | FundieWatch.IE » | The sweet smell of bullshit » | A Response emerges on Emailgate » | The plot thickens... » | Another first - Daily Ireland sets up a blog » 

Saturday, March 03, 2007 

Sony Ericsson for Mac


On my trusty Sony Ericsson K750i I use Opera Mini for Web access; Salling's Remote Basics for using my phone as an iTunes, VLC, Keynote and DVD Player Bluetooth controller for my Macs; and iTuneMyWalkman for syncing with a Smart Folder in iTunes every morning for podcasts (such as Battlestar Galactica). I use iSquint with custom settings on my desktop machine to output compatible video for viewing saved TV.

It plays AAC, MP3 and MPEG 4. I can listen to the radio on it with comfort, via the hands-free kit I bought at the same time. I can take pictures with the two-megapixel camera for import into iPhoto.

The cost of all this? 200 euros on an 02 contract upgrade from my previous phone, 20 euros for the 3.5mm hands-free plus about 30 euros for a 1GB Memory Stick Duo. The rest was free. The Sony Ericsson does everything I want, and more, and has replaced my old 3rd generation iPod last year. (the installed Media Player does suck as a GUI, though)

The iPhone costs at least 500 euros (guessing) for the lowest configuration and won't be here until Christmas. I might get one in a few years, when the price has come down and the built-in memory capacity gone up. Until then, and despite being enthusiastic about Apple's great kit, I don't think so.

(I may give a different answer once I hold an iPhone in my hand for the first time. Watch this space.)

"Libel"-Richard Waghorne
"Attack blog"-Damien Mulley

About me

  • An early-thirties male Irish technologist living and working in Dublin, I'm a former (recovering) member of both Fianna Fáil and the Roman Catholic Church.

    I'm not a member of any political party these days, but my opinions can be broadly categorised as 'lefty' and republican. I am also a former member of the Irish Defence Forces.

    Please feel free to check out the FI Fie Foe Fum group blog, where I was once a regular contributor, and the Cedar Lounge Revolution, where I can usually be found in the comments.

    (This blog and its contents reflect only my own personal opinions as a private citizen, and not those of any other person or organisation.)

www.flickr.com

Links

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates